The sad death Jane, daughter of Thomas Mead, labourer, aged 8 years, at the house of Mr William Ward, the Admiral Rodney, Calverton. From the evidence of Lucy Wagstaff, who lives in front of the house of deceased's father, it appeared that as the deceased was setting a kettle on the fire, a stick fell from it, and set her clothes on fire; Deceased ran out of the house, screaming, followed by the witness, who succeeded in extinguishing the flames, though not before the child was severely burnt.  Mr Mason, surgeon, was immediately sent for, and arrived in ten minutes, when all possible means were resorted to, but death ensued before twelve o'clock the same night. The deceased's mother was lying dead in the house when the accident occurred, the father had gone out to work, and there were also in the house three other younger children. Verdict --- Accidental death.


The District Coroner held an inquest this afternoon at the Admiral Rodney Inn, Calverton, on the body of Thomas Watson, aged 66, who fell off a corn stack at Calverton yesterday, and died through the injuries received. Hannah Morley, of Calverton, said the deceased was her father, and was a labourer, employed by Mr Hunt, farmer of Calverton. Witness saw him on the 17th in the morning at his house, and he appeared to be well and cheerful then. In the afternoon of the 17th the witness went to Mr Hunt's place and found the deceased near a corn stack. He was dead. Thomas Hunt, of Calverton, said the deceased was employed by him, and was on the 17th engaged in stacking wheat. He was on the stack and had a fork in his hand. The stack was about twelve feet high. Witness was on the stack with the deceased. Soon after three the deceased fell off the end of the stack. Nothing touched the deceased. No part of the stack fell, and deceased's fork stayed on the stack. Witness shouted to a man named Fisher that the deceased had fallen off, and the witness afterwards went to the deceased. Witness went for some brandy, but the deceased was dead. The body was taken home. Witness believed the deceased fell on his head. William Henry Fisher, of Arnold, deposed to being at Mr Hunt's farm on the 17th. Witness was unloading the wheat on the stack when Mr Hunt called out that deceased had fallen off. Witness jumped off the load and found the deceased on the ground at the end of the stack. Witness lifted his head up, and he moaned once, but died immediately. A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned.


​An inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon at the White Lion Inn, Calverton, before Mr D. Whittingham (District Coroner) upon the body of Samuel Turton, aged 55, farm labourer, who was found hanging in a pigsty near his house on Monday morning. James Turton, son of the deceased, said he lived with his father, who until eight weeks ago was employed by Mr Richardson, of Oxton. Since then he had been doing odd jobs. On Monday morning the witness was called up by his mother soon after five o'clock, and he went to the pigsty, and there found his father hanging from a beam. He called in the assistance of a couple of neighbours, and they cut him down. He was dead, and they discovered that he had cut his throat across the right side with the carving knife produced. Witness had not seen his father since dinner time on Sunday. When he (deceased) went to bed early. Deceased had been ill, and had been attended by Dr Simpson. Deceased was, however, able to get out last week, and he believed he got some beer, and owing to having been out of work he had got in a low way. Witness's mother was not able to attend owing to illness. William Wright, brother-in-law of the deceased, deposed that the last witness called him to the pigsty, where they found Turton hanging, with his throat cut, as described by the last witness. He knew that the deceased had got into a low way. Mary Jebb, a widow, living opposite to the deceased, corroborated the statement that he had recently been depressed, owing, she believed, to his being out of work. After the Coroner had briefly summed up, the jury had no hesitation in finding that the deceased committed suicide while of unsound mind.


​An inquest was held on Saturday at Lowdham by Mr D. Whittingham (Nottingham District Coroner), touching the death of George Turner, aged 42, formerly a framework-knitter, of Calverton. From the evidence of the wife it appeared that the deceased was cycling from Calverton to Lowdham on Friday evening, and was found dead on the road at Lowdham. Dr E. Simpson, of Epperstone, deposed to finding deceased on the bank by the roadside, reaching over his bicycle. He was breathing heavily, and witness failed to rouse him. He died soon after. From the symptoms the witness thought that death was due to apoplexy, and over-exertion might have accelerated his death. The jury found accordingly.


​Mr E. Williams held an inquest at the Gleaners Inn, Calverton, this afternoon, on the body of William Watkinson, aged 46. The widow said that for some time her husband had been peculiar in his manner, and two years ago he was brought before the magistrates for attempting to take his life, but was handed over to his friends on the promise that they would look after him. At Whitsuntide he assaulted a policeman without any provocation, and was sent to prison for fourteen days. She was really not surprised when she found him lying dead on there bedroom floor on Monday. There was a carving knife by his side, and a piece of paper upon which, in deceased's handwriting, were these words, "Goodbye my wife." The jury found that deceased committed suicide during temporary insanity.


Mr David Whittingham, the county coroner, held an inquest at the gardener's cottage, Calverton Hall, upon the body of Samuel Hutchinson, whose death took place on Wednesday. The deceased was discovered lying dead at the foot of a tree in the Calverton Hall gardens. He had been up the tree pruning some of the branches, and it is supposed that he fell from the ladder. Mr H. Enfield, of Nottingham, was present on behalf of the deceased man's employer, Mr Frank Seely, of Calverton Hall.

The first witness was Thomas Hutchinson, son, who said that his father, who was 76 years of age, had for about 35 years been employed in the gardening trade; and consequently was a thoroughly experienced workman. He was working in the orchard on Wednesday, when he sustained the fall, which witness believed was the cause of his death. He had heard that his father had fallen from a ladder. Deceased had never been subject to fits or attacks of dizziness.

Herbert Baguley, head gardener at the hall, said that the deceased was at work in the orchard on Wednesday. He was engaged in pruning the apple tree with a pair of shears, using a large and a small ladder. Witness last saw him at about twenty minutes to two, when he was climbing the smaller of the two ladders, which was placed against a tree. When he saw Hutchinson again at about two o'clock he was lying dead under the tree. He was not bleeding, and was lying on his back, clutching the shears in his right hand. No one else was working in the orchard. Deceased was very active for his age, and quite capable of doing his work.

Replying to Mr Enfield, the witness said that his boy was the first person to see the man as he lay dead, and that the lad came and told him of the discovery.

Nelson Birch, assistant to the last witness, said that at about two o'clock he went into the orchard  in order to give the deceased a hand with his work. As he went through the gate he saw Hutchinson lying on the ground, and as he did not move, the witness became alarmed, and ran to inform the head gardener. The body was picked up after the doctor had seen it, and removed to the village post office.

Dr E. Simpson, of Epperstone, said the death was due to a broken neck, the result of the fall from the ladder.

The coroner remarked that the case seemed a fairly simple one, and that the whole affair seemed to be an accident. It would be an extremely likely explanation of the fall that the man had overbalanced while at work at the top of the ladder, and had fallen on to his head.

The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."


The fatal accident which betel Mr Charles Carter, Sir Charles Seely's agent, former the subject of an inquest held at Sherwood Lodge, by Mr David Whittingham, the county coroner.

Mr Carter, who was 40 years of age, had been in the service of Sir Charles Seely as agent and secretary for 15 years, and during that period he came into contact with many prominent county people, his death causing widespread regret. Mr Frank E. Seely, of Calverton Hall, represented Sir Charles, and Deputy Chief Constable Harrop was also present.

Mr C. Carter, of Bath Street, Ilkeston, a brother of the deceased, gave evidence of identification, stating that the deceased gentleman was an expert cyclist, and enjoyed perfect health.

From the evidence of Robert Rodgers, a scissor grinder, of Beck Street, Hucknall Torkard, it appeared that at about two o'clock on Friday afternoon the deceased was cycling down Gravelly Hollow, when to use the words of the witness, "he ran up the bank and turned over into the road as though someone was throwing a tree trunk out of the wood." Rodgers hurried to his assistance, and found him lying in the road with the machine on top of him. Deceased was bleeding from the head, and was unconscious. Eventually MR F.. N. Dick, of Rotherham, came up in a motor, and conveyed Mr Carter to Calverton. From there he was removed to Sherwood Lodge, where he died there following day at 12.30pm.

Dr Frank Ashworth said death was caused by a fractured skull and laceration of the brain.

In summing up, the Coroner said there was nothing to show that the occurrence was other than a pure accident, and he, Mr Frank Seely and the jury expressed appreciation of the conduct of the motorist.

The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."


Mr C. L. Rothers, the Nottingham City Coroner, held an inquiry at Leenside, into the death of Alvey May Binch, 5, of Salterford, Calverton, who died in the Nottingham General, on Wednesday evening, from burns received earlier in the day.

Ada Mary Binch, the wife of a farm labourer, and mother of the child, said she left the child indoors whilst she went into the brewhouse. There was a large fire in the room, but she had taken the guard away to remove some portion of its burning coal to the wash house. She was absent about a quarter of an hour and the child stood in front of the fire. There were three other children with her, one older and two younger. She heard a scream, but took no particular notice of it as the children often cried out at the top of their voices. There was no burnt paper on the hearth or anything to indicate how the child's clothing became ignited, but the other children told her the deceased went to the fire to warm her hands and the flame caught her clothes. She was wearing a dress and her underclothing was flammable.

The Coroner read Section 14 of the Children's Charter which makes the offence a criminal one. The jury returned a verdict accordingly.


With the back part of his head completely blown away and a gun lying by his side, Mr Mark Russell Haywood, 44, a farmer, of Patching's Farm, Calverton, was found dead on the floor of the saddle room at his farm this morning.

It is said that shortly before 9o'clock he went out of the house after telling his wife that there were a lot of pigeons in the clover.

A few minutes later his partner, Mr Samuel Dennison, heard the sound of a shot, but thought nothing about it until later he went into the saddle room, where he discovered Mr Haywood dead on the floor.

The gun lying near the deceased was an old rifle which had been converted into a single 32-bore shotgun, and it contained an empty cartridge.


"Accidental death" was the verdict recorded by the Nottingham District Coroner (Lieutenant-Colonel, H. Bradwell), at the Calverton inquest today on Archibald Bardill, 57, of 6, Council Cottages, Calverton, who died on Monday at a Calverton factory.

The coroner remarked that the most likely theory was that Bardill struck his head on the part of the machine which he was adjusting.

Medical evidence was that Bardill died from concussion and shock.